Best 60 Gallon Air Compressor Reviews 2017
A 60 gallon air compressor is handy because it is portable and easy to lug around. The only thing to keep in mind when choosing one is the tools you plan to use with your air compressor. There are many types and sizes of compressors available. The prices vary quite a bit too, so you might want to take a look at the specialty product stores here that feature products from suppliers we have found to be competitively priced and they provide excellent customer service as well.
An air compressor can be either a direct drive air compressor or a heavy duty belt driven unit for your garage. Direct drive compressors are oil free and require little maintenance, are noisy, built with aluminum blocks.
Air compressor tools or pneumatic tools find their most common use by people that want to do things themselves. They are also widespread in manufacturing and many phases of construction. Air compressor tools are generally rugged and designed for industrial usage.
Air compressor tools are gaining in popularity, while electric tools are losing. With the popularity of the air compressor has come a reduction in price that makes them more affordable for both businesses and homeowners.
A quality compressor can be an expensive, but financially rewarding investment. Like most big purchases, you don’t want to search merely for the cheapest model or overspend excessively. Compressors can power air tools such as nail guns, spray painters, air brushes, and more. Heavy duty air compressors have a wide range of uses in industry.
Compressors with 60 CFM (Cubic Feet Per Minute) would fulfill most of your needs, unless you plan on some heavy duty painting or such. You need to match the compressor capabilities with the air compressor tools you plan to use.
Compressor tools or Pneumatic tools are those that function with the use of compressed air. Craftsmen use compressor versions of wrenches, grinders, sanders, polishers, hammers engraving pens and screwdrivers and cutters for the added power they provide as well as the reduction in manual labor they afford the users. Compressors can, in addition, be used to power air drills, air hammers and spray guns. Most air tools are widely obtainable from hardware stores and builder supply merchants and can be rented or bought as needed. Compressors can also be used to power air drills, air hammers and spray guns.
Brief of 5 Best 60 Gallon Air Compressor Reviews
1. PUMA INDUSTRIES PK-6060V AIR COMPRESSOR
This model from Puma Industries is one of the best air compressors in the market today. The model has been available on Amazon since 2013 and has gained a lot of compliments from customers and a 4.5-star rating. It’s a Single Stage Belt Drive Series with features such as single stage cast iron pump, oil lubricated, and Single Phase induction motors.
- Very quiet: No one likes noise, especially in the house or nearby. This model is very quiet when running and it works smoothly and quietly due to the splash lubrication. Therefore, it runs great and you can use it in your garage without any noise disturbance since you cannot hear it when it kicks off inside.
- Strong and durable : It’s always good to get a tool which is strong and durable. It gives you confidence in that it will fulfill its intended purpose. The model’s drive system and tank are solid, which makes it strongand give it longer service than aluminum pumps. The oil lubrication also ensures that it does not rust and works smoothly, increasing its working life span.
- It produces pressure quickly and efficiently:Armed with a 3 HP Running, 305 lbs, 135 Max PSI, and 230/1 Voltage/Phase, the PK-6060V works fast to help you finish the work without taking much time. It also has a quick coupler for controlling the pressure of outlet air.
- Overload protection : Overload protection is always an added advantage for any power tool. Many are the time’s customers buy some machines and they cease to function due to power overload. However, this model has more safety precautions with the single phase induction motors coming with overload protection.
- Great mobility: It easy to move the model around since it comes with steel wheels which have ball bearing and no flat tires. The ball bearings enable you to move it from one place to another with much ease and faster. This helps you to do your work without getting tired or struggling.
- The packaging is not great: Many customers have raised the issue to the manufacturers and it’s likely that they will address it. As per now, the packaging often gets damaged during delivery. The packaging is bubble wrapping and the pallet can bust any time.
- The on/off switch is not the best since it’s made of inferior plastic: According to some experts and users, the on/off switch is not well thought out, hence not at par with the professional standards. However, in spite of it being inferior, it still works well.
The Puma Industries PK-6060V air compressor is good for just about everything, from running grinders, sand blasters, and ratchets to simple things like impact wrenches and tires. It’s ideal for both professional and home applications
2. INDUSTRIAL AIR ILA4546065 60-GALLON HI-FLO
This is available on Amazon since 2012 and has received a 5-star rating from the customers. The product is designed specifically for the heavy-duty needs of the service truck, mechanic shop and livestock operation. It features extra heavy duty components, three cylinder, aluminum head and valve plate, durable Swedish stainless steel reed valves, and automotive style ball bearings.
- It’s built to last under the most demanding and toughest conditions : The model is designed exclusively for such conditions; hence is able to work where the other models cannot. It’s equipped with 3-cylinder oil lubricated pump and synthetic oil to ensure high performance in all areas.
- Large capacity air receiver: The model is equipped with a large tank which delivers 14 CFM at 90 psi hence providing excellent power and run times to air tools. The large capacity receiver provides more air for longer run times.
- High Performance and high durability: It’s equipped with on/off switch, pressure gauge, and synthetic oil to ensure optimum performance and give it a long life. The model features a 4.7 HP, motor which operates on 240 volts and a cast-iron and 3-cylinder pump to give it a high performance and a long life.
- This air compressor is only good for heavy duty needs : This model is specifically designed for heavy duty needs, hence is not as good for lighter work. Therefore, one might be forced to use other models for lighter duties.
- Noisy: The compressor is known for its high performance, but this comes at an expense of tolerating noise. The noise is much greater than expected and can be a little disturbing.
The model is among the best-rated compressors in terms of performance in heavy duty needs. It has a wide range of applications such as air brushing, nailing, and sanding. However, the model is best for people who have heavy duty needs.
3. QUINCY QT-54 SPLASH LUBRICATED RECIPROCATING
The compressor comes from a company that has been in the industry for many years; hence you expect to get one of the best compressors in every aspect. This model is designed to last a lifetime with high efficiency and very low operating costs. Though this model runs at a slower rate, it’s much cooler and very efficient.
- Very Powerful: The model is a very powerful gas-powered compressor. It’s an industrial-grade air compressor which pushes a massive 15.2 CFM at 175 psi. In fact, it has the capacity to operate at pressures that range between 140 and 175 psi, running a 100% continuous duty cycle.
- Thermal Overload Protection: This powerful 5HP motor comes with a thermal overload protection feature which is an added advantage and protects it against power overloads.
- High Efficiency and low operating cost: It comes with a cast iron flywheel and an aluminum cylinder header designed to increase energy efficiency and durability. The high-performance rings reduce oil carryover, while the counterweight crankshaft ensures high efficiency in performance. It produces more compressed air at a lower horsepower and has finned tube intercooler which ensures maximum cooling as well as increased valve life.
- Super Quiet: This outstanding model runs without making any noise and produces extremely low levels of vibration such that you can even converse with another person just next to it.
- The pressure switch is hard to install: The main complaint from users is that the compressor’s main electrical connection box (pressure switch) is somehow tight when trying to install. This makes it hard to install, and sometimes you might require calling an expert.
- Smoke: The model is a standard duty air compressor. Therefore, it’s not meant for heavy duty needs which can run it out. According to Quincy’s customer care, if you run it continuously for a very long time it might emit some smoke.
Given the model’s efficiency and low cost, it is indeed one of the best in the market, and probably the best in energy consumption. It’s an incredible compressor as it ensures more air while consuming less energy. For those looking for a compressor for light and standard duty, this model would be a good option for you.
4. MAXAIR C5160V1-MAP 60-GALLON 170 PSI MAX ELECTRIC
This model is one of the top single stage high-performance air compressors. Made by a big and experienced company, you can count on this model to deliver in the best way possible. The model is built to work hard and thrive for a long time. It features a 5HP electric motor, 18.5 CFM at 100 psi, and an extended drain at the base.
- High Efficiency: This industrial 5HP model is equipped with high efficiency reed valves which ensure maximum performance and give it a longer life. It has all-metal belt guard and a “V” style design to improve cooling and also extend its life.
- Easy Maintenance: The model has individual and removable cylinders which give it smoother and cooler operation, and make maintenance easy. The user can extend the oil drain for convenient cleaning and maintenance. The tank drain is also extended with lever-type ball valve to easily drain moisture from the tank.
- Long lasting: The compressor has high efficiency reed valves, sturdy metal belt guard, and durable powder coat finish, giving it a longer life. It also comes with finned discharge tubing for protection against accidental burns which could depreciate its lifespan.
- Convenient Oil Fill: The compressor’s oil level site glass on the pump is located in a clearly visible location so that the user can easily tell when to add oil. The oil fill is also in a convenient location for easy refill.
- Poor Packaging: Some customers have complained that the packaging is not good and could expose the compressor to damage. Therefore, the model could sometimes arrive with some defects. The most affected parts are the pallets and the filters. Therefore, the user has to inspect it thoroughly upon delivery to ensure that nothing is damaged.
- Prone to damage: According to some users, the compressor is made with substandard materials hence breaks easily. The drain valve is one of the components which break easily, and so does the belts.
- Noisy: The compressor is not as quiet as some of its competitors. However, it’s quite normal for it to have a little noise given that it’s a heavy duty compressor.
- No instructions: The model does not come with a manual hence can be difficult if you don’t know how to install it properly. Some users, however, check for guidelines on YouTube
The model is one of the best rated air compressors. One of the reasons for its high rating is its convenience. This compressor is the best in terms making it easy and convenient to use and maintain. Therefore, if you are looking for a good air compressor which is convenient, then this is your answer.
5. PORTER CABLE PXCMLC3706056 60-GALLON
The next time you go shopping for an air compressor you can check out this model. It is an outstanding model with a 3.7 running horsepower, 11.5 CFM 90 psi, and synthetic oil for maximum performance and durability. It’s excellent for air tools like spray guns, impacts, ratchets, and more.
- Easily accessible oil fill: Usability is a very important aspect for any tool. The model comes with an oil level glass which is located strategically for easy visibility. Its oil fill is also conveniently located to make it accessible to the user and facilitate easy refilling.
- Good size and weight: This compressor is 69.25in (height), 31in (depth), and 27in (width) hence a good size and weight for easy movement around.
- Very Quiet: The model does not produce a lot of noise and has very low levels of vibrations while running. Therefore, it does not cause any disturbance and you can converse or do other things without minding about noise
- Comes without some parts: The compressor will need some extra parts which are not included when purchasing. One of those parts is a power cord. However, once you have installed all the parts, it works perfectly.
- Not appropriate for heavy duty needs: Some users have complained about the compressor not being efficient for sandblasting and automotive painting, among other heavy duty works. Therefore, you should only buy it for lighter duties.
- Not Durable: No one likes things that do not last. However, users have had different experiences with this model with some finding it durable and others not durable. Some argue that the compressor is prone to easy damages, hence has a short lifespan. Some customers have experienced cracks in the pump body and some parts will need regular replacement.
This model is a good buy and you can easily find it in the market due to its quality and stature. It’s one of the best and convenient models and is ideal for air tools such as hammers, spray guns, ratchets, and impacts, among others. If you want a single stage compressor, this is definitely a good option for you.
From the above air compressor reviews, you can relax and buy a model with the confidence that you got a great air compressor. All the models were researched deeply and extensively before compiling the content. You can be guaranteed that the information above is a true representation of how each model works and their pros and cons. If you feel satisfied with the product I recommended leave a comment below, and if you have anything else to add, feel free to comment as well.