When buying air compressors we have to analyze well the options to take home a good product, since the choice is pretty wide. This article will show you some of the best air compressions. This selection was made comparing the features and specifications of air compressors and analyzing the views of buyers to assess the level of satisfaction of purchase (delivery, technical assistance, etc.).
Here, we have compiled 5+ top rated air compressor covering the different uses and setups generally found.
Images Model Air flow Price RaTing 2.6SCFM $ 3.10 CFM $ 0.7 SCFM $ 3.8 CFM $$ 4.2 CFM at 90PSI $$ 5.0 SCFM $$$ 5.3 CFM $$$ 6.5 CFM
PORTER-CABLE C2002 California Air Tools 5510SE Senco PC1010 1-Horsepower Peak Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Makita MAC2400 Big Bore 2.5HP DEWALT D55146 4 California Air Tools 10020C Makita MAC5200 Big Bore 3.0HP
4.2 CFM at 90PSI
Brief of 5 Best Air Compressor Reviews
Remember when we talked about the times where some users may have heavy usage for at home and/or commercial use?
This is the air compressor that falls within that category. The California Air Tools 5510SE Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 1.0-HP 5.5-Gallon Steel Tank Air Compressor is an amazing option for having an alternative for at-home usage.
California Air Tools focused on creating an air compressor that is not only cost-efficient but eco-friendly as well.
This air compressor boasts an amazing oil-free pump that allows for the user to enjoy cleaner air than your normal air compressor and better operation. With this feature pre-installed to the air compressor, it also boasts the capability of requiring less maintenance requirement, which will also save you money on the long road.
- Many air compressors tend to be loud when in use and over time with consistent use. While this may not seem like the biggest benefit, imagine having to use an air compressor that is loud enough to cause a disturbance to your neighbors or those surrounding you. That could become a bit annoying with or without ear plugs. This air compressor allows for extremely quite use while simultaneously operating on 60 decibels.
- The steel structure is important if you plan on having heavy use of an air compressor. It is recommended that you take very soft care of the air compressor. Nonetheless, it is understandable that you may have to maneuver it every now and then to different positions that could cause scratches/bumps.
It’s big structure that we recommend you keep in a stationary area. It’s structure may be difficult to travel with if you decide to. Physically carrying it and/or traveling with it in your car will definitely take up a lot of space. It could also leave imprints on soft surfaces as well (not stains, just imprints)
Are you searching for a new quiet air compressor that is portable, cheap, oil-free, attached with a drain and suitable for light usage professional jobs (such as powering a nail gun or a stapler)?
The PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK oil-free UMC Portable Pancake Compressor could be a good choice for you.
The PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor weighs only 30 lbs, making it easy to carry with using the built in handle. This air compressor comes with 13 piece accessory kit that includes tire chuck with plug, tire gauge, blow gun with plug, 25′ x 1/4″ PVC air hose with coupler and plug assembled, three inflation adaptors, blow gun with OSHA safety nozzle and rubber tip.
Improved performance and a compact design with portable tools make this compressor an ideal option for anyone. It is one of best seller air compressor in Amazon. It did not be the best selling air compressor accidentally. It is a great compressor from a great company and its best features stand behind this.
The 120 volt, 0.8 HP motor, soft start motor fills the 6-gallon tank to a 150 psi (maximum) at a reasonable rate and provide an output of 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi. The motor also features a replaceable brush that ensures durability and longer life of the motor. The oil free feature ensures that oil does not seep from this compressor, which indicates no additional oil separator is needed.
The oil is sealed inside the unit for optimal use. This air compressor is suitable with most of the small air tools, which can make your entire tool collection more functional and useful.
This air compressor is pretty easy to maintain and less maintenance is needed, even if you use it often.
You need to only clean the exterior surface once in a week and check the safety relief valve once in a month.
The weight of this compressor is only 20 lbs. As a result, it is very easy to carry around within the job area.
The dimension of this compressor is 14 x 13 x 10 inches that indicate the small size of this compressor and a real bonus for those with limited shop space or when working in confined areas.
This air compressor uses a direct drive motor that provides a high effective operation for different types of jobs. This compressor is oil-free, which means that there is no need to checking and changing the oil.
This air compressor has one-gallon capacity and suitable for a range of remodeling, refurbishment, hobbies, and craft project.
The Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor is a powerful and efficient air compressor that has been designed with a big bore pump and a cast iron cylinder that gives increased compression, faster recovery time and less noise.
The quality construction of this compressor also gives a great durability even under strenuous conditions.
The Makita MAC700 features a large, automotive style filter for better efficiency and increased air intake.
This air compressor comes with a 2.6-gallon tank which is able to sustain in 130 psi operating pressure.
Not only this, it also has a low amp draw which will reduce instances of tripping circuit breakers and dropping of voltage that can cause premature failure of the motor.
The Makita MAC700 is an oil-lubricated compressor means that it requires the regular oil change. Although its need to check the level of remaining oil before operating it, oil ensures longevity. Usually, oil lubricated air compressor have longer life spans than oil-less compressors.
From a full-time carpenter, a home shop owner, a weekend handyman to a remodeling contractor, all give positive comments and 5-star ratings to this air compressor. They used this air compressor for filling tires, cleaning RC cars, pumping up a large inflatable pool, framing nailers and doing various other small projects.
The Makita MAC2400 Big Bore 2.5 HP Air Compressor is also beneficial for automotive purposes. If you know for a fact that your only use for an air compressor will be for emergencies regarding your car/vehicle, then this is the option for you.
This is the quintessential basic air compressor that is not too complicated to understand. It provides all of the basic necessities that you need including tank PSI and regulator PSI levels accurately.
The Makita MAC2400 Big Bore 2.5 HP Air Compressor is built with a compact structure that boasts portable usage. This is also a great starter air compressor for users that are investing in their first air compressor.
With its small stature, you are able to station this virtually wherever you please without taking up too much space.
This air compressor can be kept in a small area within your garage or in the trunk of your car without weighing down most surfaces. The pump that is pre-installed into the air compressor is oil-lubricated for the purpose of maintaining cool temperatures and preventing overheat during the time that you are using it.
As stated earlier, this is the air compressor that you can utilize for small tasks. While its capabilities are great for the size, you should not expect to complete major tasks with this air compressor. We noted that the compact size is a benefit in regards to space and weight, however, this also means that you will have to pay close attention to maintenance.
It can easily become damaged or show signs of wear and tear if you handle it pretty roughly. It is in your best interest to take care of this air compressor with delicate hands because any wear and tear that does not fit within the manufacture’s warranty will become out-of-pocket repair expenses for you.
Types Of Air Compressors
Before buying an air compressor, it becomes mandatory to know about the numerous types of compressors available in the market as each has some important features that make every compressor different and suitable for meeting specific needs of the buyer. Following are some compressors-
- An electric compressor is suitable for tasks that are performed inside, as they do not emit any exhaust. The voltage required for running them is the standard household capacity of either 110 or 120 volts. The main pros of this type are its suitability for indoor activities whereas its negative point is that it is not acceptable in places that have low voltage points.
- The gas powered compressor is ideal for on-site jobs. The gas requirement is necessary for its running and as it emits fumes, it is precautionary to be using it as an outdoor application or at the worksite that has a well-ventilated option so that no harm occurs because of discharged fumes. The cons for such compressor are that it becomes impossible for using it in closed spaces.
- Oil-less compressor is low-maintenance devices that do not need oil for its running. Although these compressors are easily affordable because of low-expense but they have a low durability. Engines of such models are burned quickly, they are louder and their servicing is a bit difficult. Oil-free compressors are ideal for household use as they are cheaper and suitable for small applications.
- Pancake compressor is for occasional use and that too on the small scale as it is very light and small, therefore easy to handle. Generally, such compressors have the low level of CFM, only a single tank and even the motor is comparatively less powerful. In most cases pancake compressor is best for household applications, for instance, inflating of sports equipment or tires. For limited space options, it is a boon come true and one of its important features is that it is electrically powered, making it ideal for indoor usage.
- The portable compressor is mostly of non-stationary variety. Portability degree varies in every compressor from a range of ten to sixty lbs.
- The single-stage compressor is in demand for applications needing low PSI. Its efficiency level is less as it has one piston that works in dual capacity of compressing and transferring air inside the tank. One of the negative aspects of such compressor is its efficiency level in comparison with a two-stage compressor as they are unable to achieve higher air pressures.
- Single-tank compressor has a singular tank for air storage, is portable and easy to handle. When compared with Twin-tank compressor, these are less portable but are able to hold nearly an equal volume of air.
- The stationary compressor is installed in garages and numerous workshops. These stand-up compressors are in demand for commercial applications for heavy-duty work. One of its negative aspects is that it is not portable.
- Twin-tank compressors include dual tanks for air storage. They are very easy to transport as it has low profile as well as lower gravitational center. Compressors performance enhances because of its high volume capacity.
- The two-stage compressor has dual pistons for air compressing and its transfer to the storage tank.
- The wheelbarrow is an air compressor that has a handle and includes wheels, therefore its name. It is specially designed to provide stress-free portability. Easy maneuvering helps in various on-site jobs that require quick and easy mobility. One negative aspect of wheelbarrow compressor is that it is powered by gasoline so indoor usage is somewhat hampered if proper ventilation facilities are not in place.
Points To Keep In Mind While Buying The Best Portable air compressor
Since the invention of air compressors, there is a rising demand for them for air compressors are faster, weigh less and are more powerful than traditional power tools. Because of their high demand the market is flooded with air compressors and they come in more than one variety. Hence it becomes inevitable to keep certain points in mind before buying an air compressor. Here is a guideline:
How long air tools can run before the compressor turns back on depends on the size of a compressor’s tank. Hence the size of a compressor’s tank is of utmost importance .Tank sizes are rated in gallons, and run from 1 gallon all the way up to 80 gallons. Usually, You can choose best 60 gallon air compressor for your DIY project .
However bigger size means more money and added to it, portability is an issue. Air compressors with big tanks are generally stationary. Hence if you are looking for a portable air compressor, compressors with bigger sized tanks are not an option for you. In addition, to save money on bigger tanks power tools like nail or brad guns come handy.
These only use short bursts of air, and drain the tank very slowly which will save the recovery time for compressors. You should buy the biggest size tank you can afford. However, the most important thing to keep in mind while buying an air compressor is CFM and PSI which we will talk about later.
Another thing one should keep in mind is the power of the motor which is expressed in horsepower (HP). A standard compressor should provide 4 CFM at 100 psi per one horsepower.An air compressor’s horsepower rating matter as horsepower improves a compressor’s recovery time.
But horsepower will not make your compressor more powerful. Hence you should never go for more horsepower but less CFM.When checking a compressor’s horsepower, look at the “Running Horsepower” and not the “Peak Horsepower”. Peak horsepower represents the surge of power a motor has when first starting and can be 1.5 to 3 times the amount of power generated during normal operation
Right Air Flow
Compressors are measured in two main ways, PSI (pounds per square inch) and deliverable CFM (cubic feet per minute).The rate at which compressed air is delivered is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM).While PSI or Pounds per Square Inch is a measurement of air pressure or force.
Hence these are the best indicators of air compressor power. If you will only be using one, the tool at a time uses the tool with the highest PSI and CFM requirement. If you need to run multiple tools at the same time, you will need to total the CFM‘s required by each tool.
For instance, if you need to run a 4 CFM @ 90-psi air gun and a 5 CFM @ 90-psi sander at the same time, then you need a compressor that produces at least 9 CFM @ 90 PSI. To save yourself from getting underpowered choose an air compressor that exceeds the PSI and CFM airflow requirements of your highest rated air tool.
However, most compressors will list their CFM at 90 psi or 120 psi.Some manufacturers use SCFM rather than CFM to establish consistent measurements since air expands and contracts at different temperatures. SCFM or Standard Cubic Feet per Minutes is a measurement of air volume over time at 60° Fahrenheit (15.6° Celsius).
Single-Stage and Two-Stage.
Single stage pumps are perfect for home use while two-stage pumps are best for industrial purpose.
Single-stage compressors are less efficient than two stage compressors at achieving higher pressures and are typically used for applications where a lower PSI is needed, (at or less than 120 PSI).
Oil-Lubricated and Oil-Free
Lastly, one should keep in mind if the air compressor needs oil lubrication.
Oil-free compressors are best for home use since they make the compressor portable while oil lubricated compressors are used in industries.
Which is The Best Type Of Air Compressor?
It is not easy to choose the best type of air compressor amongst numerous models and brands that are accessible to the consumers. One has to go through its specifications involving durability, capability, and effectiveness. The requirements and variations may also help in making one choice suitable in comparison to other. Some important features of a compressor that make a difference are-
- A compressor must include gauge and control panel that is properly located to provide quick accessibility and is well-protected
- If electric motor is heavy-duty having manual reset it is a protection against overloading
- If a compressor has an electric start system and includes pressure release, then chances of tripping circuits are less during start up.
- It is important to choose double air outlets because it helps in dual-tool maneuver
- Tank drains that have ball-valve allow training to become a simple process
- It is very important for a buyer to know that maximum performance is achieved with compressors having features like the cast-iron cylinder, oil lubricated pump, and direct drive.
- Features like an oil-lubricated pump, belt-drive, and the cast-iron cylinder are able to extend life and reduce levels of noise by operating at minimum RPM.
- Fuel can be saved by Idol-control
- In order to gain easy maneuvering, it is important to go for pneumatic tires
- If one chooses features like oversized gallon tank, then the pump cycle becomes less.
Several Air compressors with various distinctive features are available in today’s market. It just needs a bit of patience and lots of knowledge to make a selection. At this point of time, one can realize the importance of Best Air compressor reviews as it has proved its worth by assisting to make choices and decisions.
It is necessary to remember your own demands so that suitable selection is possible with a minimum of fuss and maximum expediency. One must always first visit the local dealer and after that check various other dealers so that best buy becomes possible. Be sure to ask for a demonstration to know about its performance and suitability.
Check out the following air compressor too!