California Air Tools’ unique California air tool CAT-6310 Air Compressor is an innovation in air compressor technology. In a nutshell, an air compressor is a device that transforms power generated by an electric motor or fuel engine into kinetic energy by compressing and pressurizing air. This air is then released in quick bursts on command to use for a variety of purposes. The CAT-6310 is lightweight, low-pressure, oil-less compressor that is surprisingly quiet for a device of its capacity.
Features of CALIFORNIA AIR TOOLS CAT-6310
The Ultra Quiet Air Compressor has a 60dB sound output, compared to the usual air compressor outputs of over 80dB. Along with a 6.3 gallon Steel air tank complete with an Air Filter, the device has an Oil-Free Pump. For easy manageability, the lightweight (49lb) CAT-6310 comes with a Wheel Kit and a universal ¼” connector, and the inbuilt Thermal Overload Protector ensures that heat generation is minimal. There are two gauges for pressure control, and a water trap to ensure that the air being pumped is as pure as possible. The CAT-6310 supports a 110V (at 60Hz) input and a low Amp draw of 7.6 Amperes, and delivers up to 120 PSI of pressure, filling the tank from empty in approximately 130 seconds (just over two minutes). The power output, while rated at 1 horsepower, can go upto 2 horsepower at full output settings. Recovery time is good, with a fifty second rating for an operating pressure of 90 PSI to 120 PSI. The CAT-6310 has a life cycle of approximately three thousand hours, which is much greater than other peers, which generally have a life cycle of two thousand hours.
- Air Flow Capacity: 3.8 CFM
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 23.6″ x 13.3″ x 24.0″
Check out the positive sides
- The low operating sound means it can be used indoors without much hassle. It makes about as much noise a standard aquarium water filter.
- Requires less power input than other air compressors (8 Amps vs. 10 Amps), and has a faster recovery time.
- Generates less heat, and is designed so that any heat dissipates more efficiently.
- Cleaner functioning with an oil-free pump translates to reduced maintenance costs.
- The lightweight design of the CAT-6310 means that it is easy to handle and move around if needed.
- Longer running span, compared to other air compressors of the same caliber.
Don’t avoid the cons
- Requires some assembly before it can be used.
- Plastic pistons may not be able to handle commercial use.
- Cannot be used for air tools that require a medium-or high pressure output air compressor (such as an air sander).
- Air might escape if the hose is not properly attached to the nozzle.
- Noise level and vibration increases perceptibly at higher pressure outputs.
- More expensive than other competing air compressors.
Price of CALIFORNIA AIR TOOLS CAT-6310
The ETL-certified California Air Tools CAT-6310 Air Compressor is towards the higher end of the price spectrum as far as low-pressure air compressors are concerned. Depending on where you buy it from, though, you may be able to secure an offer than gives you a sizeable discount on the cost of the air compressor. The device comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
- Sticker price (exclusive of taxes and shipping): $$$
How to use it best
The California Air Tools CAT-6310 Air Compressor is at its best performance when used for small tools and tasks, such as an airbrush or a nail gun. The ideal conditions for use are when it is run at up to a 60 PSI output. Use a hose pipe of the recommended size for the proper fit, and to ensure that there is no air leakage (indicated by a hissing sound) while it is running.
Who this product is best for
The 6.3 gallon CAT-6310 Ultra Quiet Air Compressor by California Air Tools is perfect for those who want to use air tools in a home environment. The silent yet efficient performance of the air compressor ensures that you can have the TV on or listen to the radio while you work with your air tools. Also, its portability means that you can bring it into the house, or take it to a garage or work shed for convenience of use.
What are people saying?
Customer reviews for the CAT-6310 Air Compressor have been primarily positive.
“I use it for running airbrushes for spray painted artwork, nail guns, staple guns and even checking the tire pressure on my car. It’s very quiet, and does not produce any funky odors while it’s running. Unpacking and assembling was a bit of a challenge because I couldn’t figure out how to fit the wheels, but it’s been great since. I’ll definitely be buying another one once this one reaches the end of its life cycle,” says a user from Chicago, IL.
While the CALIFORNIA AIR TOOLS CAT-6310 is not without its faults, it is safe to say that it stands out from the rest of the air compressor pack intended for low pressure use. The bottom line? We have a winner on our hands, ladies and gentlemen!